Wednesday 6 November 2013

The Call


Long have I stood on the Earth.

Before all who first drew breath.

It was I who calmed her fiery anger.

Eons of roiling fury, crooned to a halt.

It was I, bringing forth life.

I they worshipped, I they despised.

For all I am, ‘tis true what they say.

Treacherous they call me.

Wrathful, unpredictable, a spiteful god.

Yet am I to choose how I came to be?

I, who have borne the mightiest ships.

The wooden behemoths that cleave through trenchantly.

Masters of the deep, they think.

Nurtured the children of the water, held the young of the walkers.

Ha, what pitiable creatures.

Come now, great one, what do you fear?

For you would not be the first to be consumed.

For my gaze has swept over you.

As you lean over the side of the bow.

Watching, as you contemplate me.

Oh Destroyer, Slayer, Hunter of Souls.

Obliterate your worries, lay aside your cares.

Give yourself over.

Do not be overly wary.

Fear is not what I would have.

In me, you shall find peace.

Like the countless before you.

Misgivings, I see.

A ghost,

A perennial shackle.

How long has it been?

But until you give yourself,

Will you ever know,

If you have truly lived?

Will you ever know,

If you can heal?


No comments:

Post a Comment